Tuesday 6 May 2008

What a left hander has to put up with, living in a right-handed world

I'm often asked why we southpaws find it irritating living in a world geared for right handers. So, for those right handed people who have never given it a thought, here are ten examples:

  1. London Underground gates: the Oyster swipe pad/ticket hole is on the right and I hold my card in my left hand
  2. Milk pans/automatic expresso coffee machine jugs: the lip is on the right so I have to pour it backwards or hold it in my right hand
  3. Computer keyboards: the number pad/arrow keys/delete, page up, home, end & page down keys are on the right
  4. Front doors: the keyhole in on the right hand side of the door
  5. Microwaves: most models have the control panel on the right hand side
  6. Lavatories: apart from the new loos with the flush button on the top, the flush handle is generally on the right
  7. Cameras: the shutter is on the right so I can't use my left hand to take a photo
  8. Cheque books: it's nigh on impossible to write on the stub with a right-handed cheque book unless you write sideways (and therefore vertically)
  9. Bread knives: the blade is on the wrong side for us, so slices start off thin and go thick.
  10. Door handles: most doors are designed to open with your right hand - and that includes fridge doors

No comments: