Friday 11 April 2008

Cooking left handed

Lucky me; I’ve got a brand spanking new kitchen. And that means at long last the electric hob with dials on the right is in the skip. So is the microwave with its control panel on the right. I have managed to find ‘ambidextrous’ kitchen appliances which left and right handers can use with equal ease.

Mind you, I think the sales guy at Peter Jones thought I was a bit strange when he saw me dismissing cookers, ovens and the like with one swift glance.

“But it’s the latest model, madam.”

“Maybe, but the dials are on the right.”

I got the impression he’d never had a left-handed customer before…

In my search for the ‘perfect’ kitchen, I even found sinks that are designed for left handers (draining board on the other side). And best of all, I spotted a few toasters with both the controls and the lever for pushing down the bread on the front. But I have yet to find a special toaster that’s made specifically for left handers. If anyone knows of one, do tell.

So I can go and tie my right hand behind my back and still master all my new appliances. Cooking just got that much more enjoyable. :)

No comments: