Monday 21 April 2008

Right, left, right, left

The more I find out about which tasks left handers use which hand for, the more confused I get about what 'being left handed' actually means. For instance, my hairdresser cuts paper with scissors in his left hand but holds the scissors in his right hand to cut hair.

A friend I saw over the weekend writes left handed but does virtually everything else right handed. Just like my niece and just like Bill Gates. And Martina Navratilova does everything with her left hand (including playing tennis) except write.


I am left handed, left footed, left eyed, left eared. So I look through the view finder of a camera with my left eye, I hold a phone to my left ear etc etc. Just about the only thing I do right handed is wear my watch on my left wrist. And that's probably because, when I had my first watch, my mother strapped it on my left wrist for me.

But it seems that many of my fellow southpaws are fairly dual handed. If you do some tasks with one hand and some with another, I'd love to hear from you.

No comments: