Monday 4 August 2008

Left handers and cameras

Ever since I got my first SLR camera about 20 years ago, I've been keen on photography. And the digital SLR I got last Christmas was the best present I've ever received.

But, like all left handers, I have to use a camera that has been designed for right-handed people because I'm forced to use my right index finger to depress the shutter. And, on my little point and shoot camera, all the buttons and cursor keys are located on the right hand side - the left hand side is all screen. The SLR has so many buttons and controls that there are one or two located on the left - but not many.

The other day we were visiting the Wetland Centre in Barnes (dozens of ducklings!) and got chatting to a chap who had a Sanyo Xacti compact camcorder. It was a really neat camera and very impressive for its size. It was designed so you could control it with just your thumb. But, yes, you've guessed it - your right thumb.

No comments: