Tuesday 24 February 2009

Left-handed children

According to today's FT, researchers at Melbourne University have found that left-handed children do significantly worse in nearly all measures of development - and left handed boys do even worse than girls.

You can read the whole FT article here.

I decided to look up this study on the internet and found that the researchers used a 'comprehensive range of measures covering learning, social, cognitive and language skills' to come up with their findings.

If this is true, it's probably because we have to struggle in a world that's designed for right handers. But I certainly don't feel I devleoped more slowly as child compared to my right-handed pals.

The research also said: "we find evidence that lefthanded children spend significantly less time each day on educational activities than their righthanded peers, and significantly more time watching television".

Source: Handedness, Time Use and Early Childhood Development

Hmmm, well considering I always had my nose in a book when I was child and came top of my class, I can't say I agree with this. And what about 'significantly more time watching television'? We lived in the Far East and didn't have a TV until we came to England when I was aged six. And then I only watched about an hour a day.



1 comment:

Zina said...

Hey Carole,

LOL ;-)

Sorry but this post really made me laugh! I wonder why we don't get asked to participate in such studies????

I recall I was a bright child, I was even advanced one school year (so I literally graduated high school a year younger than my peers). So I am not sure about the "..nearly all measures of development" education wise.

My struggles back then were not because I did not understand academics. It was because as you said, being left handed living in a right handed world, even our way of thinking and approaching problems is different.

As for the TV, Amen! I do admit I would rather watch TV than do school work, but then, the type of programs that I watched were educational too.

I also notice that I am a visual learner, and since I'm an IT girl, spending much time in front of a screen, I am more inclined to read e-books and articles online or watch documentaries instead of reading a hand held book.

Take care and keep posting ;-)