Tuesday 25 March 2008

How do you know if you are left or right handed?

Now that sounds like a fairly easy question to answer. But what does mark us out as a left or right hander? My niece is 'left handed' because that's the hand she uses for writing. But in every other respect she is right handed.

And a friend told me that he throws "a ball with my left hand but kick a ball with my right foot. I bat in cricket or swing a club in golf right handed! I write with my left, yet if someone challenged me to an arm wrestle I would instinctively proffer my right".

They aren't ambidextrous, because that would mean they could do everything with both hands equally well. Are they a label that has yet to be given? Bi-handed?

I use my left hand for everything except for putting moisturiser/sun lotion on. Why that sole task? I think it's because I hold the bottle or tube in my left hand and squeeze out the sun cream into my right hand.

You can check which is your dominant hand by trying this easy test, called: How left handed are you?

Useful fact: gorillas are left handed and most cats are left pawed.

No comments: